Allison 5 or 6 Speed Transmission Swap
Custom Automatic Conversions (CAC) now offers complete kits so that an Allison 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission can be installed behind the Cummins 12 Valve, 24 Valve, 5.9L, and 6.7L engine.
For those unsatisfied with Dodge's transmission behind a Cummins engine, the Allison 5 or 6 speed swap by CAC is the perfect alternative. Whether traversing tough terrains, towing at high speeds, or desiring superior reliability, the Allison 1000 outclasses Dodge's stock transmissions.
Dodge Transmissions: A Historical Perspective
From 1989 to 2018, Dodge provided various transmissions for Cummins-equipped trucks. Although many companies offer enhanced versions of these transmissions, they lack the advantages of a stock or customized Allison 5 or 6 speed automatic.
Dodge Offerings by Year:
- 1989 to 1993 2500/3500 5.9L: TF727 3-speed auto, A518 4-speed auto (from 1991.5 to 1993), and Getrag 5-speed manual.
- 1994 to 1995 2500/3500 5.9L: A518 4-speed auto and NV 4500 manual.
- 1996 to 2003 2500/3500 5.9L: 47-RE 4-speed auto, NV 4500 or NV 5600 (01/02 HO motors) manual.
- 2003 to 2007.5 2500/3500 5.9L: 48-RE 4-speed auto and NV5600 manual (until 2005.5) then G56 manual.
- 2007.5 to 2018 2500/3500 6.7L: 68-RFE 6-speed auto and G56 manual.
- 2007 to 2014 3500 Cab and Chassis: Aisin AS-68RC auto.
- 2014 to 2018 3500: Optional 69-RC auto.
Dodge transmissions, despite their long history, have limitations. To match the Allison 1000's power, extensive modifications and pricier parts are needed. The Allison 5 or 6 speed automatic, with its large shafts, clutch packs, and gear sets, easily outperforms the Dodge transmissions. Considerations for the upgrade often lead to the conclusion that an Allison conversion is the most economical and effective solution.
Questions to Consider:
- Is your Cummins engine modified?
- Do you tow heavy loads for long distances?
- Do you have oversized tires?
- Does your vehicle seem "under stress" with your workload?
- Are you tired of constantly rebuilding/replacing your Dodge transmission?
If you've answered yes to any of the above, an Allison 5 or 6 speed conversion might be right for you!